"Life Skills and Hope through the game of Chess - from the slums of Uganda to the red carpet of Hollywood!"
Founder &CEO Chess4Life
Introduced by: Rourke O'Brien
Logged In =
Chess4Life Founder and National Chess Master Elliott Neff shares the story of meeting and coaching Phiona, the young lady whose story is told in the new Disney movie Queen of Katwe. Expect to hear about how chess is being used internationally to teach life skills through chess, bringing hope to thousands of children, as well as a short demonstration of playing chess ‘blindfolded’.
About the Speaker
"My wish in promoting chess is to advance the overall good of the students with whom I interact. As such, chess is exceptional in developing self-discipline, responsibility for one's actions, concentration, math skills, calculation, social skills, and many other excellent qualities. For these reasons, chess is now included in many school curriculums as well as after-school programs.”
- Coach of multiple national champions, both individuals and teams
- Earned the National Master title while still a teenager
- Has defeated multiple International Master and Grandmaster ranked players
- Founder of www.Chess4Life.com
- 1998 WA Speed Chess Champion
- 2000 US Open Speed Chess Co-Champion (tied with GM Hikaru Nakamura)
- Founder and President of Chess Enrichment Association, www.chessenrichment.net, a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation dedicated to bringing the benefits of chess to those that can’t afford it otherwise