Season for Family and Miracles
by Kaj Pedersen
Wow! We kick off December with an opportunity to actively engage in delivering miracles, while also taking an opportunity to celebrate our Rotary involvement with our families this month. A number of notable items I do want to acknowledge as we kick off this month that is traditionally about families in the Rotary calendar:
- It was good to see our members already rally to the EREY cause in November and a huge shout out to Scott Sadler and his team for their dedication in helping us reach for this goal. We are only a few short of hitting the 100% mark. I hope that the remaining few, who have not committed to supporting the foundation, will be able to make their contribution and help us cross the finish line for EREY.
- Our Turkey Drive was hugely successful and we were able to secure a cash surplus of $6,250 thanks to everyone’s generosity. In particular, I would like to further recognize Alan Bohling, Tom Leonidas, Steven Goldfarb, Matt Dijulio and Morris Kremen for their donations. We will use some of the funds to honor Michel Carter’s memory within RFH and being awarded the Mike Shanahan Award for his contributions to RFH.
- We had a great shout out from Chris Boland this past Friday to help fulfill a seasonal miracle for a member of community who can benefit from our help – a great opportunity for fellowship, doing good and getting our hands dirty as we help an elderly member of community tidy up his yard! Please reach out to Chris, Ann Norman or me if you are willing to get involved.
- Our Eastside Rotaracts are taking on the cause of helping the homeless by securing clean socks and they have asked us to help. This is a wonderful way for us to lend our support to a wonderful group of people that take pride in being sponsored by our club. I hope that each of our members can buy a pair or two of socks to help them in their drive with this community project. It is worth noting that clean socks are the most asked for item from the homeless support groups and reminds us that it is the simplest things that can make a difference for those who are challenged in our community.
- I hope that you will all support the call from Carmela to support our Family Party on December 15th – it is an opportunity for our club members to bring their family into the spirit of fellowship that underpins our club’s success. It is also a wonderful way for us to say thank you for their support of our Rotary commitments. Also, let’s not forget the Black & White Party to be hosted at the Loft in Washington Square – let’s kick off the New Year with a strong showing of fellowship and celebration.
- I want to leave the best to last – our Apple Cup Tom Foolery, where we had a couple of miracles in one day! First, Kim Shrader was indeed seen in a husky sweatshirt, after losing his Apple Cup bet to Dennis Newell and Bob Holert – a miracle to behold for sure! However, Kim’s reluctance to sing the Husky fight song was followed up by our second miracle of Dennis and Bob leading the Cougar fight song with our Cougs in attendance – this was a seasonal miracle wrapped up in the 4-way test as a gift that BUILT GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS within our club!
I look forward to sharing the rest of this month with you all as we rush headlong into the final month of 2017 and reflect on the good that we are doing through our work with Rotary and its mission.